This weekend I've tried to make another pesto. I usually make a traditional one and sometimes the extra filling pesto that I use on my Zughetti or Monster salad. I also wanted to keep it more budget. The amount of basil and pine nuts that go into a regular pesto aren't really cheap. This one with walnuts and rocket is really tasty and more spicy.
What you need:
For two servings.
- 125 gram rocket
- 100 gram walnuts (all you Dutchies can buy cheap walnuts at Lidl!)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100 gram of mixed mushrooms. (I've used chestnut mushrooms, shiitake and oyster mushrooms)
- 1 lemon
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 100 ml extra vierge olive oil
- 2 tbsp regular olive oil
- 4 tbsp fine grated parmesan cheese
- 200 grams of tortellini (ours was filled with cheese and walnuts)
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- Put 100 gram rocket, the walnuts (save some for decoration), 1 crushed garlic clove, 3 tbsp of parmesan cheese, the extra vierge olive oil and the juice of half the lemon in a food processor, proces until it's pesto!
- Half the cherry tomatoes and sprinkle them with salt, pepper, oregano and parmesan cheese. Put it in the oven on 180 degrees Celsius for 7 minutes.
- Cook the pasta until it's al dente.
- Heat a pan with olive oil and sautée one crushed garlic clove with the mushrooms. When the pasta is almost done add the rest of the rocket to the mushrooms.
- Drain the pasta when it's done and put it back into your pan, add the pesto and stir well. Put the pasta on a plate and add the mushroom mixture. Finish it with the oven baked cherry tomatoes, parmesan cheese and some extra walnuts.